Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät

Suche

Sights


Augsburger Rathaus (Augsburg Town Hall)

The town hall of Augsburg is the administrative centre of the city and one of the most significant secular buildings of the Renaissance style north of the Alps. It was designed and built by the former Master Builder of the town Elias Holl in 1615-1624. At that time, Augsburg was one of the main financial and commercial cities in Germany, thus the appearance of the town hall was very important.

Technologically, the town hall was a pioneering performance; upon its completion it was the first building in the world with more than six storeys. The rigid elegance of the large stonework is reminiscent of Florence. The self-image of the Free Imperial City of Augsburg is represented by two noticeable ornaments on the large gable at the front of the building: the first is the Reichsadler, or Imperial Eagle of the Holy Roman Empire, representing the town's importance; the second is the large copper pine cone, or Zirbelnuss, which is the symbol of Augsburg.

In 1944 during World War II, the exterior of the building was completely burnt due to the devastating bombing of Augsburg. In the post-war period the outside facade of the town hall was restored first. Later – as part of the city’s two-thousand-years anniversary celebrations in 1985 – the interior was extensively renovated and reconstructed as well, especially the Golden Hall.

rathaus2Rathaus - Goldener Saal. Quelle: Stadt Augsburg

For more information, please visit: http://www.augsburg.de/buergerservice-rathaus/buergerservice/dienste-a-z/aemterweise/leistungen-nichtstaedtisch/rathaus-fuer-besucher/

 

 

Perlachturm (Perlach Tower)

The Perlach Tower is the most famous landmark of the city besides the town hall. The tower was built during the 10th century as a watchtower. In the course of the town hall construction in 1614, the tower was raised to 70 metres. From the platform at the top of the tower, one can enjoy a beautiful view across Augsburg and even see the Alps when the weather is favorable.

On September 29, Augsburg celebrates the Turamichele-Fest – a festivity for the Tower Michael. Turamichele is the name of a moving mechanical figure on the tower. During the festivities, the figure of the Archangel Michael fighting the devil appears in a window on the west side of the tower every hour.

perlachturmPerlachturm. Quelle: S. Kerpf/Stadt Augsburg

 

 

Fuggerei

The Fuggerei is the world’s oldest social housing complex still in use. It takes its name from the Fugger family and was founded in 1516 by Jakob Fugger the Younger (known as Jakob Fugger the Rich) as a place where the needy citizens of Augsburg could be housed. By 1523, 52 houses had been built, and in the following years the area expanded. At the moment the Fuggerei consists of 67 houses with 140 apartments, a church and an administrative building. The prerequisites for housing in the Fuggerei have not changed over the years: one must have lived in Augsburg for at least two years, be Catholic and have become indigent without fault. The rent was and is still one Rheinischer Gulden per year (equivalent to 0.88 Euros), as well as three daily prayers for the current owners of the Fuggerei.

The Fuggerei museum, a display residence and the World War Bunker can be visited Monday through Sunday by paying an entrance fee.

For more information, please visit: http://www.fugger.de/singleview/article/info-fuer-besucher/1.html

 

 

Lechviertel (Lech Quarter)

The Lech Quarter is a beautiful old city district. It is named after the river Lech whose numerous channels run through the area from south to north. Once they served as the water and energy supply for many medieval crafts enterprises. Today, one can find many boutiques, bars and pubs in the old alleys of this historical quarter.

 

 

Augsburger Prachtbrunnen (Splendid Fountains of Augsburg)

The so called Splendid Fountains of Augsburg are three magnificently decorated Renaissance fountains made out of bronze along the Maximilian Strasse. The three fountains symbolize the three classes of the imperial city: the lord estate, the merchant class and the craft stand.

Herkulesbrunnen (Hercules fountain) in front of the Schaezlerpalais symbolizes the craft stand.

Augustusbrunnen (Augustus fountain) at the town hall square symbolizes the lord estate and honors Augustus, the founder of the city.

Merkurbrunnen (Mercury fountain) in front of the church St. Moritz symbolizes the merchant class.

For more information, please visit: http://www.augsburg.de/kultur/sehenswuerdigkeiten/brunnen/

 

 

Basilica St. Ulrich and Afra

The basilica St. Ulrich and Afra is a catholic town parish church and a visible landmark of Augsburg’s southern historical center due to its tower with a height of 93 meters. The construction of this church started in 1474. The main architect was Burkhard Engelberg from 1477 to 1512. During the subsequent years, the basilica was enlarged comprehensively and the inside was restored.

For more information, please visit: http://ulrichsbasilika.de/

 

 

Augsburger Dom (Augsburg Cathedral)

Besides the basilica of St. Ulrich and Afra, Augsburg Cathedral is considered the most important church and one of the most visited monuments in the city of Augsburg. It was built in the 11th century in Romanesque style, but with 14th century Gothic additions. It measures 113 x 40 meters, and its towers are 62 meters high. Inside, one can see frescoes of the Romanesque and Gothic period, beautiful vault paintings and four panel paintings by Hans Holbein the Elder. It is dedicated to the Virgin Mary.

For more information, please visit: http://www.bistum-augsburg.de/